When ed2go, a popular online learning course service, recently began offering subscription access to public libraries through the publisher Gale Cengage Learning, we knew it would be a unique addition to our online resources. Since our ed2go subscription began in January of this year, there have been 67 course enrollments in the areas of business, teaching and education, healthcare, writing and publishing, computer applications, and college readiness. Other public libraries have experienced increased demand for these free classes, so much so that the publisher has implemented several changes to the service:
- Ed2Go is now called Learn4Life.
- From June 2013 through November 2013, each Elkhart Public Library patron will be limited to taking a total of five courses. Any courses started before June will not count against this total. This is a cost saving measure instituted by Gale Cengage Learning.
- Use your Elkhart Public Library card barcode/number to enroll in a free course (no need to request a passcode).
- You must access the first two lessons within the first two weeks, or you will be dropped from the course. (A dropped course will not count toward your five course limit.)
Learn4Life continues to offer the same selection of FREE, highly interactive courses as ed2go. Take each course entirely over the Internet at your convenience, from work, home, school, or anywhere else… 24/7, 365 days a year! All courses are led by expert instructors, many of whom are nationally known authors. Courses run for six weeks and new sessions begin monthly.
Courses are FREE to resident Elkhart Public Library card holders.
To take advantage of this exciting learning opportunity:
- Go to myepl.org/info247,
- Find “Online Learning Courses” on the list,
- Click on the plus sign and choose “Learn4Life.”
- Enroll in a course following these simple steps:
1. Click “Enroll Now” next to the course of your choice. You can find courses by browsing through the categories on the left of your screen or by using the search bar at the top.
2. Select your course start date and click “Continue.”
3. If you have never taken a Learn4Life (or Ed2Go) course: enter your email address in the New Student area, and click “Create Account.” Complete the Account and Student Information page and then click “Continue to Payment Options.”
If you are a returning student: enter your account email and password and then click “Sign In.”
4. Enter your library barcode and click “Use Library Card”.
5. Congratulations! You are now enrolled and will receive a confirmation email at the address you provided.
A Record of Completion is available for printing once you have successfully completed the final exam of your course.
Others have already completed courses such as Microsoft Excel, Fundamentals of Supervision and Management, and Start Your Own Edible Garden. Leave a response in the section below to let us know which courses you’ll be taking!