Board of Trustees Meeting
February 21, 2014
ROLL CALL & INTRODUCTION OF GUESTS
The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Elkhart Public Library was called to order by Janice E. Dean, president, at 5:30 p.m., on February 18, 2014, in Meeting Room #1 of the Main Library.
Members present:, Krystal Anderson, Renee’ Cocanower, Mary E. Davis, Janice E. Dean; Jennifer Nielsen
Members absent: Brian Byrn, J. Scott Troeger
Others present: Deborah L. Stewart, Director; Sandra Bevins, Business/HR Manager.
Staff or Guests present: Marsha Eilers, Judy Ferrell, Jane Garoutte, Diana Gill, Moxie Robinson, Gwen Robison, Marjorie Schaphorst,
Adoption of Consent Agenda
Renee’ Cocanower moved THAT the Board adopt the Consent Agenda as presented.
Krystal Anderson seconded. Motion: Carried.
- Director Search: Renee’ Cocanower, chairperson for the Director Search committee, presented a draft of the Director Vacancy announcement, along with an updated timeline. The approval of a Director’s hiring is anticipated at the May board meeting.
- Janice Dean presented a resolution recognizing the Board’s appreciation of the years of service of Sandra Bevins, and extending its best wishes on her retirement. The Board approved by consensus.
- Additional items to Director’s Notes: Pierre Moran Branch is closed due to a frozen city water line. The branch will reopen when water service is restored. An updated 2014 Board Calendar was presented to reflect a change from January to June for consideration of the non-resident fee policy.
- Judy Ferrell, Head of Reference, guided the Board on a tour of the Reference department.
- Policy Review. A list of policies was presented indicating the status of each: planned for revision, proposed, pending, or complete/updated.
Phase II Renovations
Renee’ Cocanower reported that the Elkhart City Council will be approached as a courtesy, followed by an official request for approval to pursue a bond issue at a council meeting. No official action was taken on this agenda item.
The Director reported that surveys will be conducted over the next two weeks and that thirteen stakeholders have been identified to participate in the planning process. No official action was taken on this agenda item.
Reference Assistant Job Description
The Director presented the job description for Reference Assistant for first viewing. No action was taken on this agenda item.
Young People’s Assistant Job Description
The Director presented the job description for Young People’s Assistant for first viewing. No action was taken on this agenda item.
Questions and Information from Board, Staff, and Guests
Marsha Eilers reported that the strategic planning committee has been energetic and enthusiastic during planning sessions.
The meeting was adjourned by consensus at 6:37 p.m. The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Trustees will be on March 18, 2014, at 5:30 p.m. in Meeting Room #1 of the Main Library.
Krystal Anderson, Secretary