ROLL CALL & INTRODUCTION OF GUESTS
The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Elkhart Public Library was called to order by Janice E. Dean, president, at 5:30 p.m., on March 18, 2014, in Meeting Room #1 of the Main Library.
Members present:, Renee’ Cocanower, Mary E. Davis, Janice E. Dean; Jennifer Nielsen; Scott Troeger
Members absent: Brian Byrn, Krystal Anderson
Others present: Deborah L. Stewart, Director; Jane A. Garoutte, Business Manager.
Staff or Guests present: Marsha Eilers, Jeanne Glanders, Marjorie Schaphorst
Adoption of Consent Agenda
Mary Davis moved THAT the Board adopt the Consent Agenda as presented.
Scott Troeger seconded. Motion: Carried.
- Director Search: Renee’ Cocanower, chairperson for the Director search committee, reported that five applications were received, with more anticipated by Friday, March 21, 2014, when the posting closes. Brochures were made available at the PLA Job Fair in Indianapolis. The committee meetings are scheduled for March 27, and April 3.
- Board Member Reappointments: Janice Dean reported that terms of board members Mary Davis and Renee Cocanower would expire June 30, 2014. The Director will send letters to the appropriate appointing bodies indicating the Board’s desire, and each woman’s willingness to be reappointed for another term. Discussion followed regarding the need to be thinking of replacements for two members whose final terms expire in 2015.
- Additional items to Director’s Notes: Thirteen staff attended PLA Conference in Indianapolis March 12-15, 2014.
- Department Report: Jeanne Glanders, Head of Popular Materials, presented a report on the department.
- Deb Stewart, Director, presented a review of technology projects from 2013 and upcoming projects for this year, along with a copy of the current Technology Plan.
- Deb Stewart, Director, presented a summary of library statistics reported in the 2013 Annual Report to the State.
Phase II Renovations
Deb Stewart agreed to make arrangements for a knowledgeable person to answer the Board’s questions on the bond issue necessary for building renovations at a work session prior to the April meeting.
Marsha Eilers, Assistant Director of Public Services, reported that surveys were completed and that Donna Fletcher, consultant, is conducting interviews with previously identified stakeholders. No official action was taken on this agenda item.
Job Descriptions for Reference Assistant and Young People’s Assistant positions
The Director presented the job descriptions for Reference Assistant and Young People’s Assistant.
Scott Troeger moved THAT the Board adopt job descriptions as presented.
Renee’ Cocanower seconded. Motion: Carried
Questions and Information from Board, Staff, and Guests
Marsha Eilers thanked the Board for the opportunity to attend the PLA conference in Indianapolis. She reported that at many of the workshops she attended, the same theme was present: In order for public libraries to remain relevant, librarians cannot remain passive, waiting for community groups to seek help from the library, but become vibrant, useful members of the community by taking seats at table, serving on committees, listening to the challenges faced by the group and offer ways the library can assist.
The meeting was adjourned by consensus at 6:39 p.m. The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Trustees will be on April 15, 2014, at 5:30 p.m. in Meeting Room #1 of the Main Library.
Jennifer Nielsen, Acting Secretary