Turn late fees into help during amnesty week
The Elkhart Public Library will be accepting food items in exchange for a reduction of late fees.
During regular hours between Monday, April 9 and Saturday, April 14, the EPL will accept non-perishable food items or toiletries, to be donated to the Church Community Services food pantry.
For every one item of food donated, $0.50 of fines will be waived and for every toiletry item, $1 will be waived. Only late fees can be reduced, not fines for damaged or lost items.
- Only non-perishable food and toiletry items will be accepted
- Only unopened packages and unexpired items will be accepted
- Only undamaged items will be accepted
- No homemade food items can be accepted
- Goshen library items checked out through EPL are eligible as well
Items can be returned to any EPL branch location during the amnesty period. For the hours and locations of the branches click here.
Here are some of the items that CCS lists on their website as desired items:
- Low sodium, hearty soups and stews
- Low sodium canned vegetables
- Low sugar canned fruit
- Whole grain pasta and rice
- Whole grain cereal
- Peanut butter
- Personal care items: soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes
- Baby items: diapers, baby food
EPL partners with CCS year round, offering donation bins inside the lobby of every location to accept food and toiletry items. Last year EPL contributed 625 lbs. of food and other items for CCS.
This is a good opportunity to turn late fees into assistance for those that are less fortunate right here in the Elkhart community.