Now you can use your Elkhart Public Library card to download magazines to your computer, tablet or phone! No waiting list, no returns, no expiration date!
What you’ll need:
- A computer or mobile device (tablet or smartphone) and an Internet connection
- An email account
- An Elkhart Public Library card in good standing
- A free account at EPL’s Zinio Magazine Collection (myepl.org/zinio)
- A free account at Zinio.com
- Note: You must have a total of TWO (2) accounts; an EPL Zinio Magazine Collection account to check out magazines; and a Zinio.com Reader account to read checked out magazines via streaming online with computers and/or downloaded offline via mobile apps.
How it works:Zinio for Libraries – New Interface June 2013 from RBdigital from Recorded Books on Vimeo.
Zinio Apps are available for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire* and Blackberry Playbook. Note: The Zinio app is not available for the NOOK Color or Tablet. Barnes & Noble does not allow Zinio to be downloaded from their app store. Zinio may be accessible through the NOOK browser depending on the memory of your NOOK.
* Kindle Fire users, if you are unable to access the Zinio app from your device, refer to this alternate download method and/or view our brief video tutorial for the Kindle Fire only:
- Visit our FAQ page (myepl.org/ziniofaq)
- Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us at 574-522-5669
We would love to hear your thoughts on this new EPL service. Let us know in Speak Your Mind at the end of this post.
Great news! We now have scanning and faxing service
available in the Public Computer Center at the Main Library.
With our new Simple Scan system, you can scan documents and photos to email, USB/flash drives, Google Drive, smartphones and tablets. Your documents and pictures can be scanned as color, grayscale or black & white, and saved as PDF, Searchable PDF, Word, TIFF or JPEG files. Using the scanner’s simple touch-screen instructions, you can select scan quality and even do some basic on-screen editing.
Simple Scan also allows you to send (but not receive) faxes.
• $0.15 per page
• U.S & Canada: $1.00 per page
• International: $2.00 per page
Like our copiers, Simple Scan is self-serve and cash-only, and has its own dedicated coin op.
FORMS & PUBLICATIONS
The Elkhart Public Library will continue to make paper tax forms available to the extent that the IRS and the Indiana Dept. of Revenue make them available to us. In an ongoing effort to promote online filing, both the state and federal governments are sending fewer forms every year. You can, however, view and print tax forms at the Elkhart Public Library. We have computers set up at each of our locations, with quick access to the most common forms and links to the IRS and the Indiana Dept. of Revenue. Forms can printed at a cost of 15 cents per page.
Tax information and resources are easily accessible from the Elkhart Public Library website. In the right-hand column of our home page, under Featured Links, select Online Tax Information, which includes links to:
- 1040.com (IRS forms, instructions and publications)
- Local IRS offices and contact information
- Indiana forms and publications
- Indiana district offices contact information
- Formularios y Publicaciones en Español
- Many more how-to, where-to, when-to and why-to links
These resources can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection, as well as computer stations at all EPL locations. Forms may be printed at the Library for 15 cents per page.
We also have many “paper-and-ink” resources. Check our Reference and Nonfiction collections for books covering a wide variety of tax-related topics. J.K. LASSER’S YOUR INCOME TAXES is available at all EPL Locations. It is a comprehensive and comprehensible guide to tax preparation.
Volunteers from United Way’s VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program will be at the Main Library:
- Mondays, 12 noon-5:30 pm • January 27 through April 14
- Wednesdays, 2:00- 7:30 pm • January 22 through April 9
- Saturdays, 9:00 am-12:30 pm • January 25 through April 12
AARP (American Association of Retired People) Tax-Aide volunteers will be at the Osolo Branch:
- Saturdays, February 15 through April 12, 9:00 am-1:00 pm. Only 4 appointments will be scheduled for each of these Saturdays — 9:00, 10:00, 11:00 and 12:00.
To schedule an appointment at the Osolo Branch, call the Branch at 264-7234.
THIS YEAR’S FILING DEADLINE IS TUESDAY, APRIL 15.
Photo courtesy of Stockmonkeys.com used and modified with permission under Creative Commons License
Homework Assistance at All EPL Locations
Homework Assistance is available to all students from Kindergarten through 12th grade. National Honor Society students from Elkhart Central and Memorial High Schools will be on hand to help. Help is available in many different subjects and on a first come, first served basis.
Homework Assistance is offered from September through early May.
Times and Locations:
- Main Library – Mondays from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Pierre Moran Branch Library – Tuesdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Osolo Branch Library – Thursdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Dunlap Branch – Tuesdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Cleveland Branch Library – Thursdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
For more information contact us by email or phone at (574) 522-2223.